Good IRC client

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sun May 20 06:16:33 UTC 2012

On 20/05/12 09:54, Stephen Rees-Carter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about becoming more active on IRC, but I don't really
> know what IRC client I should be using.
> I've tried XChat in the past and it's ok but kinda clunky, I'm
> currently using both Empathy and the Freenode Webchat, but neither are
> perfect in their own ways.
>
> So, any suggestions?
>
> I'm after something that integrates nicely with Unity so I can have
> alerts in the messaging menu etc :)

I know it's a bit uncool, and i don't know if it meets your requirements
(since i don't use Unity), but i find pidgin to be pretty good.  I
prefer it because it integrates IRC, XMPP, and other protocols, and its
logging and searching works pretty well.  I use dircproxy to keep my IRC
connection going regardless of my laptop's status, and between the two
it meets my needs.

Paul