Good IRC client

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Sun May 20 00:12:34 UTC 2012

On 20/05/12 09:54, Stephen Rees-Carter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about becoming more active on IRC, but I don't really
> know what IRC client I should be using.
> I've tried XChat in the past and it's ok but kinda clunky, I'm
> currently using both Empathy and the Freenode Webchat, but neither are
> perfect in their own ways.
>
> So, any suggestions?

Check out Quassel.  It is a QT app, but it works well under GNOME.  I
run Quassel server on a VM and have the client installed on several
machines so I can use it anywhere.  It isn't a full featured as xchat,
but the client server model is worth the trade off.

If you don't need the client/server model, then I'd recommend xchat.
IRC is meant to be kinda clunky.  I love empathy as an IM client, but IM
isn't IRC.

Cheers

Dave