Banshee, Rhythmbox, or...

Stephen Rees-Carter stephen at rees-carter.net
Wed Mar 28 21:32:18 UTC 2012

David,

How about my two requirements:

1. Organising of the media library (renaming files/folders etc). (this
one I can live without)

2. 'Score' or 'Skip Count' tracking - In Banshee I have a smart
playlist which automatically ignores songs I skip frequently, so my
random playlist is generated from songs that I listen to more often.

I'm still tempted to give it a good go anyway, but #2 is something I
really love in Banshee.

Thanks,
~Stephen

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM, David Gillies <daveg at dorja.com> wrote:
> I've been using rhymthbox for ages and I think it almost hits all those
> requirements
>
> On 25/03/12 21:33, Paul Gear wrote:
>>
>> My essential features:
>>
>>  * No-brainer Google-style filtering of playlist/collection.  Amarok 2
>>
>>    lost me here: you have to write expressions instead of just typing
>>    partial search strings.
>

> Yep
>
>>  * Reliable support for Last.fm scrobbling.  Preferably integration
>>
>>    with Last.fm's tagging system, and notification of when there's a
>>    recommended song available for free download.
>

> Scrobbling is reliable, never had problems in all the years I've been using
> it. Don't know about the second bit.
>
>>  * Playback, ripping, & tag editing for all of the usual media types,
>>
>>    esp. MP3 & Ogg.  I don't really feel like re-ripping all of my CDs.
>>  * Podcast feed support with automatic download and good control over
>>    episode retention.
>

> Yep. There's not great control over episode retention though
>
>>  * Pause/Play & volume control via notification area icon (although
>>
>>    that's gone under newer desktop environments - do they provide
>>    similar functionality without all of that stupid pop-over/pop-back
>>    animated visual noise?)
>

> Control for rhythmbox happens in the sound control indicator widget these
> days.

Stephen Rees-Carter ~ Valorin
http://stephen.rees-carter.net/