Netcomm NB6Plus4WN - Wifi-connected devices can't see Ethernet-connected devices

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Wed Mar 28 02:18:12 UTC 2012

On 28/03/12 11:52, Boden Matthews wrote:
> Hey all,
> I have an issue with my router. If I have 2 computers, one connected
> by ethernet, the other by WiFi, and I start a local game server (for
> example) on one, the other PC can't see it. The same issue happens
> with my printer, it's connected by WiFi, and all my WiFi devices
> (TouchPad, PS3, laptops) can see it, but my ethernet-connected desktop
> can't. I don't want to have to buy an ethernet switch just for when I
> have LAN parties at my house, like for the one I have next week.

There could be a number of issues.  Most likely IMO:

    * local firewall settings on your two computers
    * configuration of router puts wired and wireless devices in
      separate VLANs

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it's the latter, because most home
routers come out of the box with the dumbest possible configuration.
Have you changed any configurations in the router that refer to bridges
or VLANs?

Paul