Content Filtering

colin mcdermott colinjamesmcdermott at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 22:18:55 UTC 2012

> On 10/03/12 20:22, Tom Sparks wrote:
> > I looking at internet filtering options for work, we have 10 computer
> running windows XP/vista, the filter well need to be transparent/forced
> because we have public laptops that connect to the network.
> > what are my options?
> >
> > ---
> > tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
> > Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML -
> > Ubuntu wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/tomsparks
> > 3 x (x)Ubuntu 10.04, Amiga A1200 WB 3.1, UAE AF 2006 Premium Edition, AF
> 2012 Plus Edition, Sam440 AOS 4.1.2, Roland DXY-1300 pen plotter, Cutok
> DC330 cutter/pen plotter
> > Wanted: RiscOS system, GEOS system (C64/C128), Atari ST, Apple Macintosh
> (6502/68k/PPC only)
> >
> Not sure what exactly your requirements are? Are you after something for
> an Ubuntu server or a hardware device?
>
> I've been using QuintoLabs Proxy server which is basically a Content
> proxy (ICAP) running Squid. You can download their VM Appliance or build
> it yourself - give the appliance a go as it's an Ubuntu VM anyway and
> it's free. http://www.quintolabs.com/
>
> You could build a server with this as well and place it in transparent
> or in-line mode with your current firewall once you are happy it meets
> your requirements.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards
> Keith

Dans Guardian has worked for me in the past and has worked well.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DansGuardian

There is an edition of Ubuntu that uses DansGuardian out of the box and may
be a way to go for a proxy server. (ubuntu Christian edition).
http://ubuntuce.com/
Not sure if it is actively developed. Liked it in 6.06!

Cheers

Colin