internet filtering options

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Sat Mar 10 09:40:20 UTC 2012

Dear Senator Conroy,

On 10/03/12 20:22, Tom Sparks wrote:
> I looking at internet filtering options for work, we have 10 computer running windows XP/vista, the filter well need to be transparent/forced because we have public laptops that connect to the network.
> what are my options?

You haven't specified what material you want to limit access to.  You
could use OpenDNS's blacklisting services and block all outbound
requests to port 53 while having an internal DNS that used OpenDNS to
lookup all DNS queries? Another option is to use iptables to send all
outbound port 80 traffic through squid which would be configured in
transparent mode and use a filtering tool such as squidGuard or
DansGuardian.

Both of these systems can be circumvented by someone with half a clue,
but so can most filtering systems.

Cheers

Dave