Mid-Cycle Events

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:14:04 UTC 2012

On 30 May 2012 04:44, Chris Robinson <fabricator4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It only gives us about three and a half weeks to organise posters and spread
> the word.  I'm game if everyone else is, but we'd have to go pretty hard at
> this if it's to be a success.  We'd need to start spreading the word this
> weekend, so I'll start some posters tonight.  We'd need to book the venue
> this week to put on the posters and other advertising - do you have that in
> hand for Brisbane?
>
> I guess the theme for the posters should be "Ubuntu Open Day" and highlight
> the activities - installation help, discussions, information on Ubuntu and
> open source software etc.  Please add ideas here ASAP - The posters can/will
> be able to be changed for other venues.
>
> If we do informational talks on the day they should be aimed at beginning
> users and Windows users looking to change: What is open source and how does
> it work, What applications are installed by default and how to use Software
> Center, Backing up data and migrating data and applications, Ubuntu(Linux)
> is not Windows, that sort of thing.
>
> Comments?  Ideas? Brickbats/Bouquets?
>
> Full steam ahead!
>
> Chris

Apologies, I appear to have dropped the ball on this one as it's been
a week without any action. I think it would appear the June 23/24
might be a bit ambitious given the current timing. Is anyone else
thinking of holding an event other than the Brisbanites? As far as a
date for the event, would it be better to line up with school holidays
again or something else?

In Brisbane I was thinking we should alternate north and south side
like the release parties. If we line up with the release parties then
we should organise this on the north side. Is there anyone on the
northside familiar with the Chermside library
(http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/libraries/opening-hours-locations/chermside-library/index.htm)
that would be willing to check it out and possibly book the meeting
room?

Now as far as promotion goes we could try to repurpose some of the
materials at spreadubutu -
http://spreadubuntu.org/en/get-materials/recent - to make it a bit
easier.

--