Cut down Linux + customisable X windows

Jason Warner jason.warner at canonical.com
Thu Feb 9 03:29:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Paul Gear <paul at libertysys.com.au> wrote:

> On 09/02/12 12:55, Ian Fleming wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:37:25PM +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
> >> ... and have patience for your package manager breaking every time you
> >> update.
> > No fun. I do not recommend the testing repo and one just has to go to
> archlinux.org
> > before the upgrade to look for those very rare show stoppers (ive had
> one in 2 years) or just review the upgrades
> > output for any warnings. Fun.
>
> I've experienced major breakage every time (all three of them ;-) i've
> touched an Arch Linux system and tried to update a package.  And that
> was with their "stable" repo.  Note that this was just updating to apply
> security updates, not anything analogous to a Debian or Ubuntu
> distribution upgrade.
>
> > True you can not upgrade blindly. That applies to all distros!
>
> I've upgraded almost blindly on Debian & Ubuntu many times and not had
> even the troubles i had on simple application of security updates on Arch.

As a general rule, if you apt-get upgrade, you are always going to be safe.
If you apt-get dist-upgrade, you should know what you are doing (packages
can be removed). Just be aware of the differences. My workflow is typically
apt-get upgrade and then dist-upgrade. If dist-upgrade tells me that some
package will be removed and it looks important (unity, ubuntu-desktop etc),
I leave it alone for a day and then start it over again.

Ubuntu is by far the most stable upgrades I've ever experienced. IMO,
nothing else comes close.