Anyone having issues installing 12.04?

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 02:41:56 UTC 2012

It's been doing that for a while, even if you specify to format the / partition (but re-use the /home partition)  My feeling is that it's config stuff like compiz that it's removing.  This is a *good*thing* if so, especially if it works this way for an LTS  dist upgrade as well.  It might stop the mountain of support problems in the forums and launchpad like we had with 11.04 and 11.10, where the old compiz settings completely messed up unity so that things like the launcher and top panel were completely missing.  This is going to be a big one, with lots of people upgrading from 10.04 LTS.

I don't think it's a bug - I think someones actually thought it through (fingers crossed).  I think I'll make an effort to verify this next time I do a test install.

By the way, literally doing an install "over the top of" without formating is a legitimate and useful option for people now.  For those that did a single partition install they can now install on the same partition without formatting, and conflicting files should be removed but their /home/username will be left intact.  In practice I generally don't recommend it as the first option, because I have had a broken system once from doing this as a test. I have recommended it as a repair option with some geat successes.  Don't let users do it without backing up data however - bad things or fat fingers can still happen.

Chris