12.04LTS and the Telstra 4G mobile wireless modem

Geoffrey gcombes4 at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 16 01:47:58 UTC 2012

Further to my previous message: On Telstra's advice I checked the memory
card inside the 4G modem. It is titled 'BIGPOND' which means the APN
name is 'telstra.bigpond'. This is the same as I have been using with
the old BP3-EXT modem for which a connection name appears in the menu.
However no name appears in the menu when the 4G modem is plugged into
the PC's USB socket and the modem signals readiness to relay data.
Why not? (I ask myself). The modem is a standard UMTS, HSPA device and
therefore should be recognised by Ubuntu. Or have I missed something?
Thank you for any help.
Geoffrey Combes