Python text editor

Joel Addison jaddi27 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 07:03:31 UTC 2011

Hi Geoffrey,

There are a number of Python editors available. I started out using
IDLE, which is the "official" IDE for Python. It offers syntax
highlighting and formatting, as well as an integrated debugger and
Python shell. I find it very easy to use, but I think it is more suited
for simple projects that do not have a large number of files. Also,
instead of running Python in Terminal, I find it easier to use the IDLE
Python shell, as it offers syntax highlighting and shows code suggestions.

For large projects, I would recommend using another IDE. Recently I have
been using Eclipse with the Pydev extension. While it takes a bit more
setting up, I find it much better for larger projects, as it has more of
the features I was used to (file pane, code outline, etc) from my web
development. I haven't tried SPE, but I think it looks like it would be
similar to Eclipse, obviously with more of an emphasis on Python.

I hope that helps you out a bit.
Joel