basic PDF editor for Ubuntu - tips?

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Thu Mar 3 12:43:52 UTC 2011

On 02/03/11 20:23, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could someone please tell me what they recommend as a basic PDF editor
> with GUI for Ubuntu?

I asked my wife about her experiences with this, and here's what she said:

The one I used ... last year was Xournal (from Synaptic). Its actually a
"journal" application. You can open PDFs using it and type or highlight
or mark them up or whatever, and you can delete pages and add an exact
copy of the page you are looking at before or after the sheet you are
on, or at the end of
the document, but as far as I can work out you can't combine multiple
files into one pdf document. You also have to choose to export it as a
pdf when you are finished editing it, or it saves as a xoj file.

Its nearly a year ago now, and as far as I remember it was stable and I
had no problems opening, changing, exporting and saving the files.

I do remember I couldn't rotate the pages from portrait to landscape
easily, and I'm not sure if I could change the text direction, but I
remember being frustrated with it in that respect. I can't remember how
I resolved that problem.

Hope that helps.
Paul