Ubuntu-AU Social Media

Joel Addison jaddi27 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 00:59:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 10:37 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> On 1 June 2011 09:15, Paul Gear <paul at libertysys.com.au> wrote:
>
>         On 31/05/11 21:03, Joel Addison wrote:
>
>         > ...
>         > I have added an item to the agenda for the next meeting on June 10 for
>         > us to discuss social media use. For those who cannot attend the meeting,
>         > please send through your thoughts to the list so they can be raised at
>         > the meeting.
>

>         I won't likely make the meeting, so here are my thoughts:
>               * You don't really need to justify using social media -
>                 it's a question of how, not whether.  When so much
>                 news & information happens through them nowadays, it's
>                 irresponsible not to use it if you want to get a
>                 message out.
>
> Totally agree with this statement. Sorry if the original email wasn't
> clear, we're trying to work out the how part. Should we be using a
> single account for each service or try to set up a group on each
> service for everyone to join? I'm told there are distinct benefits to
> both setups so we were trying to work out what would be best for the
> team before we started regularly using it and then decided to change
> to another method.
>
>               * You can set up Twitter to feed from identi.ca so that
>                 you don't have to send the message twice.  Even @user
>                 and #hashtag mentions come across OK - although i
>                 haven't run into a situation yet where i mention a
>                 person how owns an identi.ca account and someone else
>                 owns the twitter account of the same name (except for
>                 me - i'm paulgear on identi.ca and paulgear1 on
>                 Twitter).
> Yep, this will depend on if we go the group or single account route
> according to my research this is easily accomplished with the single
> account model but I can't see how setting up groups would achieve
> this, but I could be wrong.

I agree with the single account method being easy to integrate with
Twitter. One thought I had was to set up an Ubuntu-AU identi.ca account,
and then include that account in the Ubuntu Australia group, so people
can look in both places for the official Ubuntu-AU updates.

>               * Don't tweet too often - any more than once or twice a
>                 day is too much.  Keep it slow & steady.  Give tweets
>                 time to percolate through the twittersphere.
>
> Exactly, LoCo related stuff only that would benefit the team. We're
> not simple going to spam everyone all the time otherwise I'd be
> unsubscribing myself.
>
>               * I personally don't look at Facebook very much for
>                 technical stuff.  I prefer to keep FB for social stuff
>                 and Twitter/identi.ca for technical stuff.  But that
>                 seems to be just me, mostly.  Lots of people tweet
>                 about inanities.
>
> The theory was if we're going to do one we may as well do all 3 and
> cover as many people as possible.
>
>               * Why would you wait for a meeting to get started? Go
>                 for it!
>
> When we were discussing it on IRC and neither of us could
> defninitively say if the account or group setup on each service would
> work best for us so we were hoping someone else in the team had some
> experience to share. Sorry if it wasn't made clear about that.

I think for Twitter an account is needed regardless, as you cannot set
up a Twitter 'group' at all. The main changes would be potentially for
identi.ca and Facebook, where we currently have a group, but an account
or page respectively may be more useful. This means that we can set up a
Twitter account at any time, but wait for the meeting for the other
changes if we want.

>         Paul
>
>         --
>         Sent from my ThinkPad, powered by Linux