Missing Ethernet Port

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 17 04:42:16 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 17/7/11, David Bowskill <davidbow at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> From: David Bowskill <davidbow at tpg.com.au>
> Subject: Missing Ethernet Port
> To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
> Hello All
>
> I have a problem when installing Ubuntu 10.04 on a Friends
> Laptop.
>
> I have already installed 10.04 with no trouble on my desk
> top and lap top.
>
> In a terminal  "ifconfig eth0" shows 'eth0' to be
> present on both my
> machines but absent on the Friends laptop (there is also no
> eth1 etc).
>
> The Friends laptop connects to the Internet OK on Windows
> 7  but because
> of the absence of 'eth0' fails to connect with Ubuntu.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to fix this ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David B

tell us a little the make and model of your friends computer

What dose lspci and lsusb report on his computer?

send us the dmesg file from his coomputer?

--
tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html