Brisbane Install Fest

Chris Robinson fabricator4 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 02:03:36 UTC 2011

________________________________
 From: Dave Hall <dave.hall at skwashd.com>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Saturday, 31 December 2011 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: Brisbane Install Fest

That's why you do it with iptables (and possibly some dummy dns
    entries using dnsmasq).  If you rsync the repos you don't have to
    worry about building the indexes and you can update only the bits
    which have changed since the initial sync.

We're trying to update new installs.  As far as I'm aware it's necessary to get the software indexes (apt-get update) so that apt-get (or update manage) can get only the required packages and their indexes.

Good point though, if the indexes are part of the repositories, and they've been updated fully with rsync, then it might not be necessary to build the index at all - the apt-get system may just be able to use the indexes as is, at the point when they were last rsync'ed.  We will just have to give the correct addresses to the various repositories.

Jarad?  Please enlighten us.  ;-)
Did you get the indexes along with all those nice .deb packages?
If you've got the repo drives plugged into a network somewhere just add them to the software sources (and maybe turn off the normal main, universe, restricted, and multiverse) and give them a spin.

Chris