WiFi broadband access security?

Josh McFarlane joshmcf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 22:54:28 UTC 2011

Hi All,
Looking at the issue of keeping your browsing data safe while using a
wifi-hotspot I came up with a few proposals.
One option would be to make use of a VPN to route your internet traffic
through a secure tunnel to a network you trust. This could either be setup
yourself using a OpenVPN server at your home or via a paid VPN service.
Setting up a VPN is a really great way to stay secure when you are using
someone else's wifi however it takes a bit to setup.
Another really great option is to use the Tor network. This is an easier
option as far as setup goes. I found a full guide on how to do this on the
Ubuntu Community Documentation https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tor
Please note however this guide is slightly out of date and I needed to make
a few tweaks to get it to work. If anyone is interested in updating this
document I think it would be worthwhile.
 Firstly there is no longer any need to install Polipo as Firefox doesn't
have the same timeout issues as it once did.
Secondly if you are using Firefox 4 you must install the alpha version of
torbutton.
Lastly once torbutton is installed you will need to uncheck 'Use Polipo'
under its preferences.

All the Best,
Josh McFarlane.