WiFi broadband access security?

Michael Chesterton chesty at chesterton.id.au
Mon Apr 25 11:18:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 20:53 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
> On 24/04/11 22:02, Chris Robinson wrote:
> > I have just ordered Kogan's Agora 12" laptop preloaded as it will be
> > with 11.04.  It will be going on holiday with me to USA in August.
> >

> If you don't want the US TSA getting their grubby mitts on your
> laptop, you will need to have it encrypted and powered off when you go
> through their facilities.
>
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/laptop_security.html
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/03/tsas_ideal_lapt.html
> http://www.schneier.com/essay-217.html
>
> Disclaimer: i have no idea whether this makes it more likely for you
> to get refused entry to the country.  Personally, i wouldn't take a
> laptop with data i care about to another country without considerable
> investigation into my rights and responsibilities in taking the laptop
> through customs.  I would save myself the effort and just buy a small,
> cheap laptop explicitly for the purpose.  Or more likely, buy one when
> i get there, because it's cheaper.

They might ask for a password, so, create an account called your first
name, and just log in and add a few icons, make some browsing history,
etc, make it looked used, and set it to auto login to that account on
boot. Then create your real account, encrypted. When you want to use it,
let it boot up, auto login, then manually switch accounts. When you are
finished logout, maybe shutdown. I have no idea if this will fool them,
but there is another reason to do this below.

While you're at it, put theft tracking software in the auto login
account so if someone steals it, you can at least mess with their minds
via remote control. Assuming they boot it and use the auto login
account.