WiFi broadband access security?

Michael Chesterton chesty at chesterton.id.au
Fri Apr 22 10:45:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 20:11 +1000, WasserLand wrote:
> I have just ordered Kogan's Agora 12" laptop preloaded as it will be
> with 11.04.  It will be going on holiday with me to USA in August.
>
> Considering the extensive WiFi access over there I am seeking some
> advice on what protection I will need?

Just assume all traffic is being sniffed, so any non https site is fair
game for having credentials stolen. Even if the login is https, if the
site then switches to http, someone can steal your credentials.

Always log out of a website after your finished.

Don't reuse passwords, use something like lastpass.

Ubuntu comes out of the box with no listening services, so it should be
safe from direct attacks. It's just non ssl traffic i would be worried
about.