Bug 1

danyJ danyj028 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 10 06:00:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:16:34 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Further to what Peter Kukums wrote......
>

> I have several friends who are Windows users and are no longer that
> impressed with it because of the virus et al matters and I could convert
> them to Ubuntu. However, I am simply frightened to attempt because by
> the time they get used to the new operating system the damn desktop
> environment would have changed!

Might be that Kubuntu will be a better option than Ubuntu, and indeed there is some weight in the view that
converting from Windows to Kubuntu may be easier than converting from Windows to Ubuntu.  Probably it is more
feasibile to setup a Kubuntu system to look and behave more like a Windows system.  (Assumption here is that
Kubuntu will still be available with KDE when 11.10 is out and later)

> I have a copy of Natty with its Unity desktop installed on a set of
> (removable) HDs as well as openSUSE with Gnome 3 on another set of HDs.
> My wife - who is using Maverick with gnome 2.3 - walks by, looks at the
> screen and asks, "What's this mess on your screen?". I tell her and she
> categorically states, "Don't you *dare* change my system!".
>
> And to make things more complicated for those starting out in Linux,
> there is no back-porting of applications except for security fixes. For
> example, Maverick comes with kernel 2.36 and FF 3.6; openSUSE with
> kernel 2.37 and FF 4; while Natty has kernel 2.38 and FF 4. So unless
> you know what you are doing and are prepared to go thru hoops there is
> no easy way to upgrade to FF 4 in Maverick, for example, and also to use
> kernel 2.38.

Ideally, what you really want is a much easier way to add (and remove) ppa and 3rd party repositories to your
system without having to do any of following:

add repositories manually in your sources.list
add repositories manually in your package manager (although thats not so hard, once you know what to add)
add repositories using add-apt-repository from console

Cheers
Daniel.

> BC
> add repositories manually in your sources.list

believed to be clean.

For All your Open Source and IT requirements see: www.greenwareit.com.au