11.04

Stephen Rees-Carter stephen at rees-carter.net
Thu Apr 7 20:25:19 UTC 2011

Hi ikt,

I've been using Unity full-time on my laptop and desktop for a couple
of weeks now and I love it.
I posted a mini-review on my website that you might find interesting:
http://stephen.rees-carter.net/2011/03/upgraded-to-ubuntu-natty/

I've always turned off the task bar and used the little panel menu for
switching between applications, so the concerns that Chris has don't
count for me. I've found the launcher very easy to use, and the
keyboard shortcuts make it easy to do things without using the mouse
at all. The Lenses/Dash/overlays also make it simple to find
applications and files using the keyboard, or mouse.

It's still buggy and I wouldn't recommend upgrading on a primary
machine you aren't happy rebuilding every so often (I've already done
it once on my laptop!). Curiously enough, it runs perfectly well on my
desktop machine which previously had issues with 10.04 and 10.10. My
laptop also runs really nicely, but since it's got a weird NVIDIA
graphics card, I sometimes get problems with the dodgy NVIDIA drivers
not working too well.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading on a machine you aren't happy
rebuilding if it breaks - I have a separate /home directory so I can
format the root dir and keep all my files and settings.

So, to answer your question, I think Unity is great and I recommend
you try it and see what you think. It's not for everyone, and you may
hate it, but you also may love it. It really depends on your
preferences for a desktop environment.

I hope that helps :)

Thanks,
~Stephen