Mounting Floppies

David Bowskill davidbow at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 3 07:58:34 GMT 2010

Hello All
I was cleaning up when I came across some old floppies with stuff I
wished to read.

Ubuntu 10.04 would not mount the floppy although the drive light cam on
for a short while and the drive 'clicked'.

The file /etc/fstab includes the following entry:

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8
0       0

when issuing the command:

        mount /dev/fd0

the drive clicks and the terminal reports :-

    mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

Then examining the file  /etc/mtab, it shows no entry for the floppy.

Issuing the command umount /etc/fd0 the terminal reports:-

    umount: /dev/fd0 is not mounted (according to mtab)

I cannot read the floppy - it is not mounted although it was reported as
being so.

Any ideas ??

Thanks
David