701SD wireless

Peter Schwenke peter at bluetoad.com.au
Thu May 20 00:15:40 BST 2010

Norm, VK3XCI wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> here's where we're at.
> Wireless card is a realtek RTL8187SE
> Kernal driver in use is r8180
> Kernel module is rtl8187se
> It sees all the wireless networks around me, 3 all together
> My wireless is 64bit WEP shared key. (lowest common denominator)
> I have installed the non-free package.
> Tries to connect but fails with no error message.
>
> Off to work, more later

Is there anything in /var/log/debug about trying to authenticate,
associate etc?  You are seeing the networks and it seems like you have
all the necessary bits installed.

So it just spins when it is trying to connect...  Have you tried
right-clicking on the NetworkManager applet and go into edit connections
and seeing what the configuration is like for your network?

I had my wired DHCP connection disappear after upgrading to 9.10 from
9.04.  Maybe it is something like that.  After adding that it has been fine.

--
                                                              Regards
                                                              ...Peter