Upgrading from 10.04 32 bit CD

Daniel Sobey dns_server at yahoo.com
Sun May 9 09:31:39 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 17:52 +1000, Dave Hall wrote:
> Hi Geoffrey,
>
> On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 16:06 +1000, Geoffrey wrote:
> [...]
> > So, how is upgrading with the 10.04 CD done?
>
> It sounds like you are trying to upgrade from the LiveCD, unfortunately
> ubuntu only support upgrading using alternate installer CD (my preferred
> way to install ubuntu anyway) or over the network.
>
> I vaguely remember that ubuntu will (or used to) recognise the alternate
> CD and walk you through the upgrade process.
>
> To Upgrade over the network select System > Administration > Update
> Manager. Click "Check" then a upgrade button should appear and walk you
> through the upgrade.
>
> Sorry if these steps are a little vague, I trying to remember how to do
> this the "proper way".  I upgrade most of my machines on the command
> line and/or during the alpha/beta cycles.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

This is correct, if you are able to insert get a copy of the alternate
install cd you can use that for upgrade.

Just go into ubuntu like you normally would and place in the cd.

I believe if you insert the cd it should prompt you that it has detected
an install cd and asks you if you wish to upgrade.

If you have a connection to the internet you can do an upgrade by
running update-manager where it can offer you the ability to upgrade. if
the option is not there you need to click a few options in the software
sources window.

You can run   update-manager -c to check for a new release and start the
upgrade process.

If you are running a server you can run  do-release-upgrade  and this
script will automatically download and upgrade your system.