A local Shipit service for regional users

peter baker jellyware at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:37:13 GMT 2010

hey guys

I have been following the discussion on a local Shipit service for regional
users with interest.  I setup www.ubuntu.net.au a couple of years ago with
the aim of making ubuntu available to people who have hassles downloading or
burning the distro themsleves.  I get quite a few orders from really remote
communities, esp in WA so I guess it is doing what it is meant to do.

how popular is the service?  I get around 30 unique visitors to the site
every day.  from that I usually get 1 or 2 orders/day.  most of the orders
come via paypal although I do accept stamps in the mail.  I get some lovely
comments via letters that people send me.  so its not a lot of orders but it
is consistent and it is growing

so.  I think your *free* aussie shipit service for ubuntu 10.04 is a great
idea.  I think the thing that is going to slow you down is postage costs,
every cd costs $1.10 in postage.  I'm happy to provide a description of what
you guys are doing and a link on the main page of www.ubuntu.net.au  I
already link to the download section of ubuntu.com so that people can
download their own copy.

peter

--
www.peter.id.au