A local Shipit service for regional users

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 12:52:45 GMT 2010

Good evening all,

With the release of Lucid Lynx approaching us sooner rather than later
one idea I had that I would like to put out there to the mailing list
was a bit of a Shipit type service (see https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ for
the official version) that aims at delivering the new release much
sooner than the quoted 10 weeks from the website. What I am proposing
is that some users in metropolitan Australia with quicker download
speeds and higher download quota limits burn a copy of the new release
and then post it to another user who might be stuck on dial up or
regional 3G services with very low download limits.

I would like to see if this sort of a service would be useful to our
regional users or not and I would also be willing to coordinate this
service. I have costed the idea and to post a CD to anywhere in
Australia from anywhere in Australia would cost $2.50 (this includes
the packaging and the postage costs) and also the cost the CD itself.
How this would be paid would be dependant upon how many people were
wanting this service and how many people were willing to help out.

If you are interested please feel free to either drop me an email (on
or off the list I don't mind) or pop into IRC (as explained
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/IRC - I'm usually lurking, my
nick is head_victim) and just send me a message.

Regards,

Jared