planet.ubuntu.org.au (was Increasing Ubuntu-AU visibility)

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Tue Mar 9 08:38:11 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 18:44 -0800, Michael wrote:

> 3. The Ubuntu-AU planet page, what is its purpose? I understand this,
> "Planet Ubuntu Australia is a window into the world, work and lives of
> Australian Ubuntu developers and contributors." but I would have
> thought it would be something that each post would by necessity would
> have to have some relevance to Ubuntu or FOSS in general. I frequent
> SILs Linux development page and each post is relevant to the work of
> SIL Linux Developers.

There are 2 approaches to planets.  Some are project posts only, like
planet PHP, Drupal etc.  Others are more inclusive, such as the LA and
ubuntu-au planets, they take the full feed from the blogger.  I
personally prefer the latter approach.  It allows you to get more of a
feel for the poster.

The majority of my blog posts are on FOSS related stuff which may be
relevant to the ubuntu-au community.  If I had to tag things for the
ubuntu-au planet, then I would probably ask that my feed be dropped as
it is too much effort to tag it for that planet.  In the case of the
Drupal planet I do tag posts, but that uses my generic drupal tag.  My
tags have meaning, they aren't there to control syndication.

Yes there will occasionally be posts which have no relevance to FOSS at
all, you can generally tell by the title, just skip it.  A little bit of
noise is a small price to pay for a generally high quality signal.

Cheers

Dave