Packaging for Debian & Ubuntu

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Mon Mar 8 12:49:17 GMT 2010

Karl Bowden wrote:
> On 8 March 2010 22:00, Dave Hall <dave.hall at skwashd.com
> <mailto:dave.hall at skwashd.com>> wrote:

>     > Is this a reasonable list?  Is there a product that fits the bill?

Firstly, thanks to Dave & Karl for their suggestions.  I played with
reprepro for a few minutes and it seems to do the job.

>     I can't help with the build side of things, all my package building
>     isn't automated.

What do you use for your package building?  I have been using
dpkg-buildpackage so far, and it seems to be reasonable once you have
all the control files set up, although it is a bit clunky sometimes.
Even though i've been a sold-out Debian/Ubuntu user since 2003, i must
say that Red Hat make it a lot easier to learn to package in RPM format
than Debian & Ubuntu do in dpkg format.

>     For the serving of packages I use reprepro and nginx,
>     for info check out the blog post I prepared earlier
>     http://davehall.com.au/blog/dave/2010/02/06/howto-setup-private-package-repository-reprepro-nginx
>
>     I think it ticks all the boxes except #6 out of the box, but a quick
>     shell script should help with the archiving bit.  I keep all of my
>     packaging stuff in version control so I don't need to keep old
>     versions
>     kicking around.

I keep all of my stuff in subversion, with tags for each release, but i
find it easier to keep the built packages than to rebuild from source if
i want to go back to a previous version.
> I'll second Dave's suggestion of reprepro and nginx.
>
> The comment at the end of Dave's blog post was mine, and I have since
> moved from using apache to nginx too.
I've already got a full Apache vhost setup, so i assume that i can keep
this and there's nothing special about the differences between Apache &
nginx?
> I use pbuilder to maintain a few packages for the systems I maintain.
> From pbuilder I target amd64 & i386, jaunty & karmic. I know pbuilder
> also supports building to debian targets on the same system too, but
> have not had a need to try it yet.
I expect to build on Debian lenny amd64 and deploy on karmic & lenny,
both i386 & amd64.  Does pbuilder help with that?
> From there I debsign the .changes files and import them into reprepro.
Do you use a separate command to bring in the .changes files, or can you
bring in all the right bits of your packages with one command?  It
sounds like there is still a lot of manual scripting that needs to take
place.

Paul