Governance Structure Proposal for Ubuntu-AU

Matthew Rossi matt at pcpodcast.org
Mon Mar 8 01:46:36 GMT 2010


Hello everyone.

On 8 March 2010 10:08, benchen70 <benchen70 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thank you for your ideas, I think they are wonderful.
>
> Just out of curiosity, I am just wondering about the state
> requirements of the ordinary committee members. Is there any
> particular reason for 2 preferentially from states outside Victoria,
> Queensland and NSW?
>
>
I should have explained that point a bit better.  The idea is that we try
and give one position to someone outside VIC, NSW and QLD, and then another
position for a younger member of the LoCo.  If we are unable to find someone
in that target area, that spot is made open to everyone.  That is just a
guideline, and doesn't need to necessarily be followed all the time if not
practical.


> Also with the election, how exactly do each person promote themselves?
> I mean, the community is not particularly large number of people, so
> quite likely, a lot of the members know each other. However, is there
> any formal process and regulation of personal promotion/'advertising'
> to become a committee member, vice-president, president and
> chairperson? Just like a normal election, where each candidate state
> their goals and aspirations, are we to have the similar process for
> our elections of presidents and chairpersons - even though our goals
> and aspirations may not be for a nation or city ;)?
>
>
That hasn't been worked out (and honestly I never thought about that), but
one possible idea could be that potential candidates announce their
nomination on the mailing list and write in their email why they want the
position, their relevant experience etc.  I'd be interested to hear any
other ideas on this issue.


> Again, thank you for this idea!
>

Regards,
>
> Benjamin Chen
>
> On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, Matthew Rossi <m... at pcpodcast.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In light of the recent discussions regarding the future of our LoCo, I
> > thought that I would pitch in my own idea for how we can govern the LoCo.
> > Over the last few years, it has become obvious that the unstructured way
> > that our LoCo operates isn't working too well.  From the surface, it
> doesn't
> > appear that a lot is being done, and those who are actually volunteering
> are
> > flying under the radar.  As a LoCo I believe we should become more
> organised
> > and structured in our approach, so I am proposing a small committee
> system
> > to be formed within the LoCo to essentially run the show and direct the
> LoCo
> > as a whole towards achieving the stated goals of the group.
> >
> > The following is a basic outline of the structure of my committee
> proposal.
> >  There are references to a charter, which would be formed by the
> committee
> > itself if established:
> >
> > Personnel:
> >
> > *Chairperson (Virtually a Ceremonial Role)*
> >
> > Responsibilities
> >
> >    -
> >    - to act as an independent adjudicator of all elections and votes held
> >    within the committee itself and the broader LoCo community as per the
> rules
> >    of the charter
> >    - to give assent to the results of votes and elections as stipulated
> >    above, and to change the charter where the committee has approved an
> >    amendment via a vote
> >    - to ensure that all rules as set in the charter are enforced within
> the
> >    organisation
> >    - to set the time, place, agenda, chair and provide logs/recordings
> (via
> >    the mailing list and wiki) of all meetings in consultation with the
> >    committee
> >    - to represent the Ubuntu-AU LoCo as a leader and to promote the
> >    organisation and the Ubuntu distribution where necessary.
> >    - to serve as a mailing list (or IRC if necessary) moderator
> >
> > If this proposal is implemented, I request that for the first term that I
> > take the role of chairperson without an election to ensure that this
> system
> > is implemented smoothly.
> >
> > *President (Team Contact)*
> > *
> > *
> > Responsibilities
> >
> >    - to serve and fulfil the role of Team Contact for the Ubuntu-AU LoCo
> in
> >    its present form
> >    - to organise promotional events, exhibition stalls, CD distribution
> etc.
> >    - to represent the Ubuntu-AU LoCo as a leader and to promote the
> >    organisation and the Ubuntu distribution where necessary amongst the
> public
> >    - to liaise with the broader Ubuntu-AU community to gain access to
> >    volunteers for events and to reflect the views of the broader
> community.
> >    - to attend and actively contribute to all meetings organised by the
> >    chairperson
> >    - to serve as a mailing list (or IRC if necessary) moderator
> >
> > *Vice-President (Treasurer)*
> > *
> > *
> > Responsibilities
> >
> >    - to assist the President in the previously mentioned roles
> >    - to represent the Ubuntu-AU LoCo as a leader and to promote the
> >    organisation and the Ubuntu distribution where necessary amongst the
> public
> >    - to liaise with the broader Ubuntu-AU community to gain access to
> >    volunteers for events and to reflect the views of the broader
> community.
> >    - to regularly maintain a database for tracking membership within the
> >    Ubuntu-AU LoCo and it's committee
> >    - to track the receipt and allocation of funds and other materials
> within
> >    the LoCo
> >    - to attend and actively contribute to all meetings organised by the
> >    chairperson
> >    - to serve as a mailing list (or IRC if necessary) moderator
> >
> > *Ordinary Committee Member*
> > *
> > *
> > Responsibilities
> >
> >    - to support and actively contribute to the initiatives set by the
> whole
> >    committee
> >    - to attend and actively contribute to all meetings organised by the
> >    chairperson
> >    - to represent the Ubuntu-AU LoCo as a leader and to promote the
> >    organisation and the Ubuntu distribution where necessary amongst the
> public
> >    - to represent the views of the wider LoCo community during meetings
> >    - to serve as a mailing list moderator
> >
> > Other
> >
> >    - There will be around 4 - 6 Ordinary Committee Members (the exact
> number
> >    to be determined)
> >    - Preference for 2 of the positions will be given to those who reside
> in
> >    a state outside of Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland; as well
> as a
> >    younger member of the LoCo.  If the position can not be filled by a
> person
> >    in that target area, the position will be opened to any interested
> party
> >    along with the rest of the Ordinary Committee Member positions
> >
> > Election to the Committee:
> >
> >    - The Chairperson officially calls and operates all elections and
> votes
> >    as per the rules stated in the charter.
> >    - Ordinary Committee Members will serve two year terms.  At the end of
> >    the two year term of the group of members elected, an election will be
> held
> >    to any member who has explicitly agreed to the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
> within
> >    the Australian LoCo.  Votes can be registered by any member who is not
> part
> >    of the committee or is standing for election.  After that round of
> voting,
> >    the top candidates (according to the no. of positions available) will
> be
> >    elected.  If there are any ties or the Chairperson deems the majority
> to be
> >    not suitable, the committee itself will elect.
> >    - Vice President's and Presidents will serve three year terms, to be
> >    elected by the Ordinary Committee Members.  Members on the committee
> may
> >    nominate themselves for the positions, and normal LoCo members may
> have a
> >    committee member nominate them.
> >    - The election rules for the Chairperson is the same as for the
> >    Vice/President, however the Chairperson has an option to extend their
> term
> >    by 2 years without the need for an election.
> >    - Any elected committee member may re-nominate themselves for new
> terms.
> >     There is no limit on the number of terms a committee member can
> serve.
> >    - An elected member may resign from their post, or be 'sacked' from
> their
> >    position (if they miss a certain number of meeting w/o permission from
> the
> >    Chairperson or if they act in a manner that is against the CoC).  In
> that
> >    case, the Chairperson in consultation with the committee may decide to
> >    either call upon the first runner up of the election from that member,
> or
> >    can call an open election for an 'interim member' position to fill
> that
> >    position until the expiration of that term as per the above
> guidelines.
> >
> > Meetings:
> >
> > There are two types of meetings.  These include community meetings and
> > committee meetings.
> >
> > *Community Meetings*
> > *
> > *
> >
> >    - Meetings to be held in the IRC channel once a month to be chaired by
> >    the Chairperson
> >    - The Chairperson will set the time of the meeting in consultation
> with
> >    the LoCo members and the committee
> >    - These meetings are open to any member within the LoCo
> >    - Anyone can request for points to be added to the agenda, but the
> person
> >    who requested the item must attend the meeting in order to explain it
> >    otherwise that item will be skipped
> >    - The meeting will be fully logged and the Chairperson will post the
> log
> >    onto the mailing list and the Team Wiki
> >
> > *Committee Meetings*
> >
> >    - Meetings that include all elected committee members.
> >    - The Chairperson will arrange the time and venue of the meeting
> >    - These meetings should occur somewhere between once a month, to once
> >    every three months.
> >    - The Chairperson, in consultation with the committee may organise
> >    meetings to be held in a physical location to allow members of the
> committee
> >    to be able to meet outside of the internet, however this is not
> compulsory
> >    as organising such meetings can be difficult.
> >    - The Chairperson will publish the recorded minutes of committee
> meetings
> >    on the mailing list and the wiki for all LoCo members to read.
> >
> > This is a basic preamble of the model that I would suggest, and some
> details
> > haven't been worked out.  I encourage anyone reading this to tell me what
> > you think and how you would change it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Matthew Rossi
> > m... at pcpodcast.org
> > Tel: +1 253 987 6413
> > Mob: +61 488 122 990
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-au mailing list
> > ubuntu... at lists.ubuntu.comhttps://
> lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-au
>
> --
> ubuntu-au mailing list
> ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-au
>



-- 
Regards,
Matthew Rossi
matt at pcpodcast.org
Tel: +1 253 987 6413
Mob: +61 488 122 990
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-au/attachments/20100308/4f1d358b/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the ubuntu-au mailing list