Flash memory as a backup for the Home directory

Martin Visser martinvisser99 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 07:35:52 GMT 2010

I think it is a great idea.

When I run Ubuntu on my work notebook, an 8GB flash key is not only my home
directory, but my root as well.

Flash does wear out (though the onboard controller on the keys should manage
a lot of that issue), and can fail like any other electronics.

It is still early days, but I would imagine solid-state permanent storage is
going to completely supplant rotating disks (but the disk manufacturers
haven't given up quite yet)

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 at gmail.com