Problem with Ubuntu Linux system

Peter Goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 24 14:21:05 BST 2010

My Linux system has developed a problem. It boots to the login stage but
is very unresponsive. Eventually it completes the login but remains
unresponsive. The disk activity light remains on and the system remains
very sluggish. Is this a disk problem or is it a corrupt software
problem? If I replace the disk with a new disk and reinstall Ubuntu is
it possible to extract the mail information from the old disk, assuming
it can be read?

Regards

Peter Goggin
16:31:00