HOW TO: Netcomm NB9WMAXX and Firewall

Callan Jefferson Davies callan at cruzn.net.au
Thu Jul 15 07:44:19 BST 2010

> Some time ago when I was dual-booting with XP and used XP on the 'net, I
> had Zone Alarm installed. This had a setting where incoming pings from
> WAN, but not LAN, were not responded to.

Hi Basil,

That sounds a little weird, unless you have some sort of DMZ or
"all-ports" forwarding going on. Or, if your previous ADSL device was a
MODEM, not a ROUTER.

The NB9WMAXX is a router. This means it makes the connection to your ISP
independent of any computer on your network.

So when someone pings your IP, they are pinging the NB9WMAXX, they are
not pinging your computer.

This is the reason you need port forwarding if you want to run a server,
so the router knows that any incoming requests of a certain type have to
be relayed to a machine inside the network.

So it's definitely your modem with the pings ...

But like you've already said, pings aren't anything to worry about.

Cheers :)
Callan