E160 wireless internet modem with 3

Peter Kukums pkukums at ieee.org
Tue Feb 9 12:10:50 GMT 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:20:22 +0800
> From: Christopher Lees <christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au>
> Subject: Re: E160 wireless internet modem with 3
> To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 12:00 +0000, Peter Kukums wrote:
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:20:54 +1000
> > From: Peter Kukums <pkukums at ieee.org>
> > Subject: Re: E160 wireless internet modem with 3
> > To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
> >
> > I have had no problems connecting other than poor signal sometimes,
> > which Ubuntu doesn't indicate.
> >
> > What plan are you on? If you are using prepaid you have to edit the
> > Three connection in Network Manager and change the APN to 3services. It
> > does not set it up that way automatically.
>
> Only if you're using 8.10. Ubuntus 9.04 and above have a different
> option for prepaid which will set the correct APN.
>
> The problems with connecting on 9.10 are to do with Network Manager
> saying you're connected, and the little blue light shining on your
> dongle, but it not really being connected.
>
> Chris Lees

That is interesting because I only connected with Three after upgrading
to Ubuntu 9.04 and I still had to edit the APN. I also did not have any
trouble connecting after upgrading to 9.10, yet I have noticed that a
lot of people have had major problems overseas with these Huawei dongles
- e.g. Launchpad bug #446146

Peter Kukums