Rob's Project: Getting Ubuntu Doing What He Needs

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 12:28:29 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Rob Farquhar <imagines at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Hi, everybody. Sorry for not posting in a while.

FWIW Rob, I installed Win 7 after being Microsoft free for 10 years,
so as to run just 2 pieces of software;
1. an English-Thai_English dictionary with sound:
http://www.paiboonpublishing.com/details.php?prodId=74
2. A flash card learning system for learning Thai from http://www.byki.com/
As it happens the dictionary is fully accessible using Wine by
entering the Win partition from Ubuntu
find the dictionary app in Program Files and right clicking on it and
opening with Wine.
The BYKI program does not work this way. Consequently I replaced it
with Anki for Ubuntu; and that turned out to be a much better SRS
learning system than BYKI anyway. Free too!
So now I never have to boot Windows.

So the lesson here. Use Wine if you can or replace the Win app with a
FOSS alternative if you can.
If neither procedure works for something you must have and you need to
reboot you might consider installing Win 7. It is almost as easy to
install as Ubuntu/Mint and it boots almost as fast to a real boot too.
Not the pretend boot that Win XP provides.

HTH Bob
--
Above all Minesweeper persist! Keep on turning tiles and you will find
your mine.