Pando on Linux

peter goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 5 14:42:20 BST 2010

I have found a site with a down load file and the following
instructions:
Hello,

Please see below for the link to download the Pando Linux Downloader
(v0.9.2 Beta), please read the following instructions before
installing/running this software.

We are very interested in hearing about your experiences with this
software so please create posts sharing your feedback, don't forget to
include the distribution you are running and it's version!

Thanks.

http://www.pando.com/dl/download/pandod ... .0.tar.bz2

Fixes: 1.8.5+ File Compatiblility
Numerous Connection fixes present in the 1.8.5.1 Win/Mac Client

Prerequisites
===========

Debian/Ubuntu
------------------

The packages listed below can be installed by becoming root and typing,
'apt-get install '

libgtk2.0-0
libuuid1
libexpat1
zlib1g
libstdc++5

Fedora
---------

The packages listed below can be installed by becoming root and typing,
'yum install '

gtk2
e2fsprogs-libs
expat
zlib
compat-libstdc++-33

Note: If installing on Fedora, after following the installation steps
below
the following additional step has to be taken.

Go to the pandodl directory and run 'ln -s /lib/libexpat.so.0
lib/libexpat.so.1'

Installation
=========

After the prerequisites are installed the Pando Downloader Beta can be
installed by following the steps below.

1. If a systemwide install is desired become root and run the command
below
from the /usr/local/bin directory, for a user install run it in the
user's home dir.

tar xvfj pandodl-xx.tar.bz2

2. Run 'export PANDO_HOME=/PATH/TO/PANDODL_DIR'

3. $PANDO_HOME/pandodl may be run to launch the Pando Downloader.

Configuration
===========

After first run a file named .pandoDownloader will be created, the
following
values can be added to it.

Listen_Port - is the listening port for other peers to connect to.
Limit_Upload_Rate - is the upload rate in KB/s.
Proxy_Host - Hostname or IP of the Proxy server.
Proxy_Port - Port the proxy server is listening on.
Proxy_User - Username for the proxy server.
Proxy_Pass - Password for the proxy server.

My problem is simple , I just do not really understand what it is I have
to do. When I down load the file in Firefox it goes to the down load
directory in my home directory. Since I am the only user on the computer
it probably does not matter if I install it locally or system wide.

If I decide to install it locally the where in my home directory should
I move the down loaded file?
In the tar command I obviously replace the xx with the data from the
file name (-0.9.2.0)
I am not suer what the /PATH?TO>?PANDODL_DIR means.
If I expand the file in my home directory then it creates a directory
pandodl. Is the path /HOME/USERNAME/pandodl?

What do the values that I am supposed to add to the
file .pandoDownloader mean? What values should I give them?

Regards

Peter Goggin