Old LP's and records

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 13:18:42 BST 2010

On 24 April 2010 22:13, Steve Thomas <st3v3th0ma5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jared,
>
> will that work? I had to connect my very old B&O turntable to the hifi via
> a pre-amp. I assumed I would also need a pre-amp to connect to my laptop.
> Did try connecting thru the pre-amp and using LPripper, but seemed not to be
> getting proper audio through.
>
> Also, the B&O has a DIN connector. But I guess I could use an adaptor.
>
> Of course, another way to get those old vinyl tracks is to rip them from
> Youtube. ;)
>
> Steve Thomas <http://www.google.com/profiles/st3v3th0ma5>
> Ubuntu <http://ubuntu.com> Advocate & Social Networker
> My profiles: [image: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/spotrick>[image:
> Flickr] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/spotrick/>[image: Twitter]<http://twitter.com/spotrick>
> Signature powered by WiseStamp <http://www.wisestamp.com/email-install>
>

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Jared Norris <jrnorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 24 April 2010 18:20, Ferdinand Lehnard <ferdinand.lehnard at web.de>wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi mates,
>>>
>>> I just would like to inform you that ALDI (NSW) had last week a USB
>>> turntable (record player) in their shops which is usable to copy your old
>>> records onto CD. The most surprising stuff was that the software package
>>> delivered was Audacity. Seeing this I thought, that could be something for
>>> my UBUNTU machine and just bought it even it was no mentioning of LINUX on
>>> the package.
>>>
>>> Today I tried it and worked out of the box, I was not even forced to load
>>> the Installation CD. All you need is AUDACITY. I am using still UBUNTU 8.04
>>> just for your info.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>> Ferdinand
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Ferdinand,
>>
>> How did you find the device itself? My parents recently bought a device
>> similar to that from the catchoftheday (I realise you can get high quality
>> ones for hundreds of dollars, this one was 60 - 80 ish from memory).
>> Unfortunately the device skipped across the records so badly they threw it
>> out after ruining one of their records. Upon seeing it had installed
>> audacity I advised them it would be cheaper to purchase an RCA to 3.5mm
>> Stereo lead and just play it using the high quality record player they
>> already own using the lead to the line in on their onboard sound card. They
>> haven't had a chance to try this yet but I was curious to see what your
>> experience was like.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jared Norris
>>
>> --

Steve,

As soon as both my father and I both have spare time together I'll let you
know how it goes. His turntable is connected through an amplifier to
speakers so I was thinking of taking a line out off the amplifier (as I have
been informed the turntable will probably not generate enough by itself). I
am not sure how the quality of it all will go or not but as long as it's
usable I'm sure the parents won't mind.

Regards,

Jared Norris