LEADERSHIP and a ROADMAP

Michael keltoiboy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 05:32:05 BST 2010

Hi Andrew, and everyone else who wishes to take part in this
discussion.

I see you have put alot of thought into this and I applaud your
initiative in bringing this matter to the forefront again.

I don't have many comments to make at this time but the ones I do have
to make will probably ruffle a few feathers, if they do my apology is
thus tendered in advance.

I personally like the idea of an ACC although the smaller Councils may
be a bit difficult to setup initially. There needs to be a
consideration of minimum numbers required for a smaller council and
this is because places like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will have
the opportunity to create a LoCo each simply because they have the
numbers. Where does this place people like myself who live in a rural
centre? Apart from on person who I personally know but haven't seen
for about 6 years there is no other Ubuntu users on the Ubuntu-AU
membership list in my region let alone in my town. So will we have a
Sydney LoCo and a "Rest of NSW" LoCo? or will we just have a NSW LoCo?

I truly believe this LoCo has no transparency. There was a comment
made during the meeting about having an election. The comment was
basically that elections are a popularity contest and do not really
mean the person who gets elected is the best for the job. While this
is true to a certain extent a transparent election process is much
better than the current "meritocratic" process. Why is this? Well 1
person currently says who can do what, now unfortunately this is
getting into the realms of micro-management simply because a very
tight leash is being held on this small community. If this community
is going to expand people are going to have to be allowed to do things
without gaining the approval of an "autocratic ruler". I know with the
current system I will never get anywhere with this community, even
though I would like to, simply because I have a fundamental difference
of opinion to others and because of this I don't have any chance of
being seen as having a "level head". The current situation therefor
can be seen as being as bad, if not worse, than a transparent election
process simply because those who want to be able to do things have to
be "popular" with a certain self appointed group.

I may have more to say later but I think it would be best if I stopped
where I have and see what others have to say.

Cheers.
Michael (k3lt01)