Legality of Linux Mint codecs (was linux mint)

Martin Visser martinvisser99 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 03:02:26 BST 2010

Barry,

I am guessing you mean patents rather patterns. That said, I think you will
find that those patents have not been enforced. They may have some standing,
but I don't think any non-licence holder of media codecs and has been
subject to legal proceedings in Australia (at least publically).

(And put up your hand if you don't use MP3 on Ubuntu (without using
Fluendo). And if you do, you are, IMHO and remember IANAL, morally clear, in
that you probably already own multiple devices all that have full-licensed
patents on them - hence have already paid the patent owners multiple times
over).

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 at gmail.com