Ubuntu-au Obsolete? or needing a revamp?

db db.pub.mail at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 03:47:11 BST 2009

Why would ubuntu-au be obsolete ?

Ubuntu is the friendly / linux for "human beings". It is just gaining
popularity. The issue really is that no one is available to ensure
that ubuntu au is up for newbis to find really. I think ubuntu (the
main site) was pushing people towards their loco's sites when download
cds at one stage. However, a lot of people who are now using ubuntu
just want to do that ... use something that works for them. They may
not be geeky enough. However, when issues arise they do need support
and i think that ubuntu-au on irc or mailing lists may be able to
point them at the solution or some one who can help them.

For most cases the people using ubuntu seem to be fine with using
google to find their answers. While this works, there is some bad
advice out there.

I should also note there are a lot of people using ubuntu or linux in
sydney who do not attend slug (in Sydney), they don't feel the need to
attend slug. Slug is not representative of the entire linux community
in sydney. A lot of my friends i know may use linux or have used it /
use it on the side with everything else. A lot of people are also not
aware of their lug. I think promoting further awareness of lugs would
be a good move for all distributions.

If there are good talks and people there, then the lug should be a
success. Ubuntu linux, isn't just an operating system it is a
community.

Thank you.