OpenVPN startup scripts on IRC today

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 4 11:48:41 BST 2009

Paul Gear wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> To whomever was having this discussion:
>
> (13:58:17) policenaut: does anyone know here i can setup openvpn to load
> at startup so I don't have to manually do sudo openvpn "file*"
> (13:59:17) hybr1d8: easiest way is to add it to /etc/init.d/rc.local
> (13:59:18) hybr1d8: A better way is to write your own init script
> (14:00:25) policenaut: an examples of an init script lying around :)
> (14:01:30) hybr1d8: the rc.local script is a good template (just copy to
> a new name and edit as needed - then use update-rc.d to get it to
> actually be used :-) )
> (14:02:12) policenaut: i'll check it out. thanks :)
>
> There's no need to write your own script.  If you put a valid
> configuration file in /etc/openvpn with a .conf extension, the openvpn
> startup script will do it for you automatically.
>
> Paul

For the GUI/Desktop users out there, GNOME NetworkManager now also
supports OpenVPN.  Your choice of configuring it via the GUI, or
pointing it to an existing .conf/.ovpn config file.

You'll need to install "network-manager-openvpn" first, but once
installed you can configure OpenVPN like any other network connection in
GNOME (right-click the network icon in the GNOME panel, choose "Edit
connections..." and then choose the VPN tab).  A number of my all-Linux
clients use it for their road warrior staff.

And like other connections, you can set it to auto or manual connect.

-Dan