Music sharing not working in Jaunty

Aryan Ameri info at ameri.me
Wed Oct 21 23:31:37 BST 2009

Hi there,

I'm trying to stream music from one machine in my local network to the
other one. I know that using DAAP/avahi/ZeroConf/whatever it's called
today, this should be really easy. Theoretically I should be able to
enable sharing on Rhythmbox/Banshee on the host machine, and have the
share appear on the guest/client machine (both run Ubuntu Jaunty
64-bit).

The issue is, neither Banshee nor Rhythmbox have the sharing option/tab
in their preferences dialogue. It's simply missing. I'm assuming that
they were compiled without DAAP support. This is even though I have
avahi-daemon and a bunch of other avahi libraries installed on both
machines.

Am I missing something here? What's the best/easiest way to share/stream
music over LAN from an Ubuntu machine to another? Aside from
Samba...

Cheers
--
Aryan Ameri