Tape drive.

Scott McKean scott at epochlabs.com.au
Fri Oct 16 07:12:53 BST 2009

Hi Michael,

There are a number of factors that come in to play when trying to decide
what sort of tape drive you are after. The best tape drive for backing
up a small desktop computer may not be suitable for a server. There are
many different types of drives / support formats DAT, AIT, DLT, SDLT,
LTO. There a hundreds of different types of tape drives, I have never
had much trouble getting linux (tar, mt-st, etc) to interact with them.

Some of the things to consider are:
-How much data you need to backup (and possibly how often). Some
examples of different backup regimes can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_rotation_scheme
-What hardware you have available to talk to the tape drive (SCSI,
SATAe, USB etc)
-How much you are prepared to spend on both a) the drive itself b) media

If you can provide some more information to the above points we may be
able to help out.

In saying all this, if you'd like to contact me off list we have a bunch
of older tape drives / scsi cards lying around in the office which you'd
be more than welcome to have.

Cheers,

--
Scott McKean