Ubuntu-Au Forum

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Sat Oct 10 20:39:38 BST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 03:23 -0700, The Bronze wrote:
> Opinions please.
>
> I create websites as a past time. Some for businesses. Some for
> community groups. I think this qualifies as the later and have been
> wondering how I can give back to the Ubuntu (and edubuntu) / Linux
> community in general.
>
> What do people think about me hosting and administering a Linux /
> Ubuntu forum for Australian members. I don't know about you but I'm
> not a fan of the whole email / thread thing. It makes a terrible
> archive of information and I generally find the content hard to follow
> compared to the structure of a bulletin board / forum.

I personally will never use the forum, I find mailing lists far more
convenient.  I can read my mail anywhere anytime, a forum requires an
active internet connection.  Also my email client highlights what I
haven't read yet.

If you really want to setup a forum, I would suggest using FUDForum and
its email sync functionality.  This way everything which gets posted on
the list ends up in the forum and vis versa.  I think anything else will
cause things to get post.

I also think that for the site to have any credibility it needs to use a
subdomain of ubuntu.org.au - such of forum.ubuntu.org.au

Cheers

Dave