Backup and restore onto different hard drive

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Thu Nov 26 07:16:56 GMT 2009

-a does an 'archive' copy, meaning that it tries to preserve as much
as it can (permissions, etc.).

If you choose this option, don't use it to copy a live system.

I still think that something like clonezilla is a better alternative.
You preserve the entire filesystem and all its metadata, and you can
trivially resize afterwards it to match the target disc with gparted.

2009/11/26 Ryan Ralph <ryanralph1991 at gmail.com>:
> I think I can manage to work out the grub stuff.
> Is it possible to guarantee all data will be copied exactly or is that what
> the -a option does?
> --
> Ryan Ralph
> ryanralph1991 at gmail.com
>

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Matthew Hannigan <mlh at zip.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> I'd use the -a option to cp rather than dd.
>> dd preservies/copies far more than you want or need, and requires
>> you to resize afterwards.
>>
>> So..
>>

>>    cd source && cp -a . destination
>>

>> Are you ok with the grub stuff?
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:06:44AM +1100, Ryan Ralph wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > Was just wondering if someone could explain to me how the best way to go
>> > about backing up my setup at the moment.
>> >
>> > What I need to do is do is take a "ghost image" (windows term) of my
>> > 120gb
>> > hard drive that ubuntu is currently installed on and then restore it
>> > onto
>> > one of my newer 500gb drives.
>> >
>> > I was thinking that I could try using dd, copy the backup to one of the
>> > 500gb drives, then restore it to the other 500gb drive and resize the
>> > partition if required. This seems like it would be quite time consuming.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know a better way? If not could someone please explain what
>> > commands I would need to use for dd?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ryan Ralph