Topic Change: Does everyone like the Koala

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Mon Nov 16 22:30:53 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 08:41 +1100, Norm wrote:
> OK Dave,
>
> I know exactly where you're coming from and it's my sentiment entirely. What I'm
> asking is  could the virtualization improvements for example, be added to the
> LTS as a patch or upgrade, rather than have to wait 'till the next LTS?

As some one who runs serious production systems, I only ever want
security and critical bug fixes being backported.  Every fix is a
potential regression - look at the usb modems in karmic as an example
how things can go wrong.  Will you offer to explain to my client that it
is only a minor glitch that is meaning their 2000+ sites are down and it
will be fixes RSN?  People are human, and humans make mistakes, the more
changes they make the higher the risk.

If you want wholesale updates in stable - try fedora :)  I think fedora
has some good things going for it, but I don't agree with their security
packaging policy.

> I have a client who would love to dump Windows, but unfortunately runs
> some
> custom enterprise software which is Windows centric. The irony is that
> it's a
> Windows build of a very old Unix (green screen!) app! And no, the
> developer
> isn't interested in doing a Linux build of the GUI. The expertise has
> long gone.

Based on the description above, I am sure they could run windows under
kvm on hardy.  The features I want to take advantage are directly
connecting host pci and usb devices to VMs using libvirt.

Cheers

Dave