Help with Graphics Problem on New Machine using Koala

Chris Debenham chris at adebenham.com
Wed Nov 11 07:38:05 GMT 2009

Yes - you would see a reference to nvidia if you had a nvidia graphics card.
The output shows that you have an onboard intel grapihcs card.
The G31 should be good enough for web/work/video stuff - but may be a
bit low-power for 3d games.
If you don't need fancy 3D then you'll probably be right to stick with
the onboard graphics

2009/11/11 OPM595 <opm595 at yahoo.com.au>:
> Thanks for the reply, Guys.
> Sorry about the lack of info in my initial post.
>
> Opening a terminal and doing "lspci | grep VGA"  gives me the folowing:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
>
> Now, I'm a little green on this, but if there was a Nvidia Geforce
> installed would there not be some sort of reference to it here (terminal
> output), proving it's existence?
>
> And adding to this, when I took delivery of the machine, the first thing I
> did was to go to the Nvidia site, and downloaded:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.36-pkg2.run
> believing the Nvidia Geforce was supplied as advertised.
> I got to the point of running the install after doing the chmod +x and
> then running, and so forth but, unsurprisingly received:
>
> WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the
> 185.18.36 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system.
>
> I think from the feedback on this, my crystal ball is telling me to save
> the stress and just buy a compatible card. I think most Nvidia cards are
> pretty safe, aren't they? I'm not hoping to do anything special. It's just
> getting a bit frustrating when doing things like browsing in Fox and you
> have to scroll like eighteen meters to the right to read the whole page (a
> little exaggerated, but you get my point).
>
> Once again, many thanks for the response on this. It is very much
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

> Local Id: OPM595
> Email: opm595 at yahoo.com.au
> PO Box 190, Narellan NSW 2567 Australia
>
> Aude aliquid dignum  - "Dare Something Worthy"

Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html