10 useful yhings to do after installing Karmic

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 6 23:15:54 GMT 2009

Microbe wrote:
> Damn I wish I had blogged my entire experience with this - maybe
> someone would do something about it.
>
> Deciding to persevere I have been trying to install Medibuntu for the
> last 24 hours based on suggestions (thanks!)
>
> Sure it starts off OK...then
>
> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic-security/multiverse Packages
> Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic-security/multiverse Sources
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
>   404  Not Found
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/restricted Packages
>   404  Not Found
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Sources
>   404  Not Found
>
> etc etc etc
>
> That's today.  Yesterday it was that security.ubuntu.org (from memory)
> could not be found.
>
> Sorry people, but despite your best efforts right now Ubuntu is just
> for geeks.
>
> Being obstinate and because I enjoy learning to overcome these sort of
> obstacles I am still going to keep trying, but there is no way I would
> recommend Ubuntu to anyone as a Windows replacement.

The problems you are having are not "geek" problems.  They are
popularity problems.

Karmic has just been released.  Like the last 5 releases, the worldwide
mirrors hosting the data are under huge stress from people upgrading
(both in terms of bandwidth issues, and trying to keep up to date with
the master repos).  The popularity of Ubuntu is massive and growing, and
the infrastructure hosting it is struggling.

As any good marketing person will tell you, in business there are
problems you DON'T want, and problems you DO want.  Being "too popular"
is a problem you DO want, as it's something you can fix over time.

As for Ubuntu not being good enough for geeks - a few years back I
helped a local Brisbane PC sales place sell systems with Ubuntu on them.
 I got a support call one day from an elderly lady in Rockhampton who
had installed Ubuntu herself and had troubles connecting to the
internet.  Upon query, it turns out she had installed it fine, and was
merely checking that it was safe to plug in the network cable from her
ADSL router to her PC.

This same octogenarian had many troubles installing Windows, as she
couldn't figure out how to load drivers properly (versus Ubuntu which
worked "out of the box").  I don't blame her, as hunting down
third-party drivers is quite stressful for non-technical people.

If an 80 year old grandmother with zero technical experience can install
and configure Ubuntu Linux, I think it passes the test with flying
colours.  You on the other hand are confusing your 10+ years of being a
Windows end-user with the software being "easier".  ArsTechnica covers
this in their article, titled "Confusing familiarity with superiority"

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070605-product-loyalty-consumers-mistake-familiarity-with-superiority.html

To solve your problem above, be patient.  Over the next 30 days the
tidal wave of users (80 million was the number I heard thrown around at
Canonical) will die down, and the mirrors will return to normal.  If
however you can't be patient, then by all means return to the software
you are more familiar with.  Ubuntu Linux certainly isn't going any
where (it's only going to get bigger) and will be here when you are
ready to return and trial it with an open mind.

For what it's worth, some would probably consider me an "expert" Linux
user (10+ years of commercial Linux server experience, 7+ years of
commercial Linux desktop experience).  This email is being typed in 9.04
Jaunty, which will stay on my systems for another 30 days before I
migrate to Karmic.  Why?  Because it'll be a whole lot easier to do when
the mirrors are zippy (and up to date) again, and the masses have
stopped smashing the tubes.  Even being an "expert" won't magically rid
me of http 404 messages. :)

-Dan