Wi-Fi availability

Dave Hall dave.hall at skwashd.com
Thu Nov 5 11:23:30 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 03:08 -0800, Slawek Drabot wrote:
> "Does anyone know if a Wi-Fi will work with Ubuntu/UNR and how to get
> it going?"
>
> which country town are you looking for coverage? Do you get mobile
> reception from Optus in your town? This wil lgreatly increase your
> options and reduce your cost.

Or not.  I have used Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, Virgin and 3 over the
years for mobile data.  Out of all of them, Telstra wins hands down - no
one comes close to their coverage, their customer service leaves optus,
3 and virgin for dead and if you look at it closely, the pricing on the
higher end plans is actually pretty good.  One month over quota with
Optus can wipe out any savings you may have made by using them.  BigPond
offer shaped plans.

Yes, some of Telstra's business practices are questionable, alot of
their products are over priced, but you will find very people (including
some of their harshest critics) who will criticise their Next G network.

If you have Optus coverage then I would recommend you consider using
Internode's 3G product.  I have heard good things about it and it is
capped, so you don't get a nasty surprise when the next bill arrives. I
don't use it as 5G is far too little. More info at
http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/3g_wireless/nodemobile_data/plans/

Disclaimer: Internode sponsors the free community wireless network in my
town in country Victoria, so I like to say nice things about them.

Cheers

Dave