10 useful yhings to do after installing Karmic

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Wed Nov 4 21:43:59 GMT 2009

Aryan Ameri wrote:
> One good place to start is this blog post called "10 Useful Things to Do
> After Installing Karmic Koala". I don't recommend doing all those 10
> things, but doing 1, 3, 5, and 6 is probably a very good idea to have a
> usable Ubuntu system.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/10-useful-things-to-do-after-installing.html
That was an interesting read.  I have to say that for my laptop (a Dell
Latitude D830) on jaunty (i haven't upgraded yet), i found #2
(installing the proprietary driver for my NVIDIA graphics card)
essential.  If i didn't, dual screen never worked, and neither did power
management.

I've also got to say that #3 & #5 are less than useful to me - i want
minimal distractions on my desktop, so i use the icewm window manager,
which provides similar features with a lot less visual noise.
(Admittedly, i'm a little old-fashioned, and i still do a lot of work in
terminal sessions.)

And #10 is a must!  If it's not better than Windows & Mac, why are we
doing this?  :-)

Paul