Ubuntu and virus protection

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Tue Nov 3 02:15:29 GMT 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
> I am a new (2009) user of Ubuntu and I now have an excellent list of
> applications making me almost independent of MS Windows. Hooray!
> For MS Windows I use a purchased Anti-virus program (AVG). As my use of
> the Internet rarely strays into less secure web sites I don't seem to
> have a problem with viruses. I scan regularly with AVG of course.
> However I don't have an anti-virus program for Ubuntu. Of course I could
> use MS Windows for the Internet but, as I am using Ubuntu as a rule,
> switching is inconvenient.
> I seek the views of members on the need for virus protection using
> Ubuntu, and, therefore, any recommended action that I should take.
> Thanks,

Hi Geoffrey,

In general Ubuntu is not as susceptible to viruses as Windows, and
viruses for it are very rare.  (I've seen only one for Linux live in the
wild in 15 years.)

The steps i take to protect myself while browsing are:

   1. Use a non-default browser (Epiphany) to do my Internet banking.
      This ensures that even if my default browser (Firefox) is
      compromised, nothing of critical importance can be stolen.  I
      NEVER browse general sites with this browser, only my banks, and
      only via bookmarks which i've created.  This is something that
      everyone who uses Internet banking should do, IMO.
   2. Use NoScript (http://noscript.net/) in Firefox to disable all
      scripting languages (Java, Flash, JavaScript) except on sites that
      i allow.  Highly recommended for all users who can deal with the
      fact that some web sites don't work until you take an action in
      NoScript.  This makes drive-by downloads and the like a much lower
      likelihood.
   3. Browse through Dan's Guardian content filter, which has an
      antivirus plugin. This way my downloads are checked with ClamAV
      automatically as i browse.  I recommend this if you have a home
      server that is easy to configure as a proxy.

I also have my systems run a full virus check with ClamAV once a week.
I wrote a little script to do this.

Hope this helps,
Paul