Printer Problems in 8.04

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Tue May 5 01:45:33 BST 2009

The Wassermans wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 10:44 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> The Wassermans wrote:
>>
>>> Problem #1.  How do I delete redundant printers from HH 8.04?
>>>

>> Go to http://127.0.0.1:631/ on the host and you'll get a full management
>> interface.
>>

>>> Problem #2.  Trying to install a new HP P1005 Laser Jet without success.
>>> I have tried to follow instructions from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ to no
>>> avail.  I would like some help please.
>>>

> Thank you Paul.  I used the CUPS site to install the printer and also to
> tidy the redundant printers.  It's brilliant!

Good to hear!

BTW, the company which wrote CUPS was bought by Apple a couple of years
ago, so Mac & Linux now have a largely identical print system under the
covers.  So as a general rule, if you can't find a particular model
listed in the openprinting.org database, buy printers that are billed as
Mac-compatible.  I know HP's low end laser printers sometimes aren't.

Paul